Monday, August 29, 2016

Water skiing on Kayuta Lake

FINALLY.  A chance to go water skiing on Kayuta Lake.

For two weeks in the summer, the Camp Mohawk Valley Waterski School comes to Kayuta Lake. Run by the Serth family, the school is a "summer camp where kids can come and have a fun filled week of learning how to waterski".  The students are then invited to participate in the Camp Mohawk Valley Exhibition Squad Water Ski Show featuring the X-Squad which is held on the last weekend of the ski school.

After getting the nerve to ask Joe Serth for a ski lesson, I came to the dock ready for my adventure. Joe advised me of the danger of the sport and asked only one question.  "Do you downhill ski?" I do. But that did not make it any easier.



First attempt to get up using the boom, a pole attached to the center of the boat which extends out over its side, was a total failure.






With Joe behind me, holding me up most of the time,  I was able to stand up on the skis on our next run.  For over 3 minutes, we were actually water skiing.  Until he let go.  He must have gotten tired. LOL.





Joe helped me up again the next time.  And when he let go, I finally made it on my own. What an exhilarating, scary 20 seconds.  Felt really proud of myself.








After another session with Joe the following week, I felt like there is yet hope that I will be able to
learn how to waterski.  Thanks, Joe.












0 Comments: